Sunday, February 7, 2010

Week 4- We survived Snowpocalypse 2010!

This was a wild weather week for us here in the nation's capital... If you read my last post, you know we got about 8 inches of snow last Saturday and spent the entire weekend safely tucked away in our apartment.  Then Wednesday we got another 3 inches... But this was the day that the "severe weather warning" was issued for Friday and Saturday.  Thursday, I decided it would be a good idea to go to the grocery store since we only had one more meal to make (bad idea #1)... Unfortunately the entire CITY had the same thought.  My grocery store is pretty small, with a tiny parking lot in the basement of a big office building, so when I arrived at 8:05 Thursday evening I had to wait 10 minutes to get a parking spot...but I pressed on (bad idea #2) So I got into the store, saw the lines and decided I'd come too far now (bad idea #3).  I was only able to get about 1/2 of the food on my list.  They had no chickn, no milk (i had to get vanilla soy, which is not bad to say make french toast or oatmeal), all the produce was rotten, I bought the last pound of ground beef, I thought it was the end of the world.  The lines went down the frozen food aisles all the way to the back of the store, I needed some frozen veggies for my veggie soup and people wouldn't even move to let me get into the cases so I just had to get in that line.  So, I was slightly perturbed by the time I got home, I vowed never to go to the store again.  Richard's response "By never, you mean until like next week?" However, friday and saturday I sure was glad I had plenty of food, because I definately didn't want to leave my apt.  Moving on...

Friday morning they upgraded the storm warning to a "BLIZZARD" warning!  It started snowing about 11:30 but it was 35 degrees so it wasn't sticking yet.  I didn't have class until 1:15 on friday so at 12:30 as the snow was getting much thicker (so I thought at the time), but class wasn't cancelled. Richard got home right before I left.  Luckily my friend Nicole (from North Dakota) came and picked me up so I didn't have to walk or drive in the snow. However, once we got to campus, they cancelled class 15 minutes before it was supposed to start.  Thanks G-town, really helpful!  So we stuck around and did a little studying, and again thanks to Nicole had some delicious cake!  (yes, I'm still counting calories, I ate a piece of cake and a bowl of pasta in the same day and still met my caloric goal of 1800)  I got home about 3:00 just as the snow was starting to stick.  About 10:00 is when it actually turned into a blizzard, and we decided to go out in it and I made my first snow angel (of my adult life).  By the time we woke up Saturday, we had 2 feet of snow outside, and it continued to snow until 8pm.  Needless to say, Richard and I spent our second weekend in a row inside our apartment.  Thanks to my trip to the store we have eaten really good through all this... Friday we made sausage rosemary pizza, for breakfast Saturday we had nutella and banana french toast, then homemade vegetable soup and corn bread for dinner, made a little snow ice cream for dessert (sounds a lot better than it actually is). 

Sunday we decided to go play in the snow....but it was terribly cold (16 degrees).  But we did jump out of our window into the thick fluffy snow and play for a few minutes, but then I was really freezing and our neighbors were taking our picture which was kinda creepy.  On the plus side SNOW DAY TOMORROW!
In addition to the weather and associated drama Richard met Lauren and her brother Sean this week when we went to Eat Bar wednesday night.  I am organizing a kickball team which is alot more work than I would have ever anticipated.  School is starting to rev up too, I have my first exam next week in pharmacology, so everyone say a little prayer for me Thursday at 9am (8am Central). Now I'm blogging during the super bowl, pretty exciting!  That's All Folks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment